Sunday, June 23, 2013

Spinach and Rosemary Stuffed Pork Tenderloin


I found this amazing recipe on Menu Musings. If you would like to see gorgeous pictures as well as see the recipe step by step, that's a great site to go to. I'd say that my #1 weakness when it comes to recipes is following them and consequently explaining them. I'm pretty impressed with my accurate annotations of this one! 
The original recipe includes dried apricots, which I don't like. I bought a bag from Costco a few years ago and threw the entire thing away-- I couldn't even convince my boys to eat it. I think I'll try this recipe again in August and use fresh apricots instead. I'd also be interested in trying either and apricot or a peach salsa on top. But that's for another day. 

  • 1/2 pound fresh baby spinach, washed and chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1 cup dried apricots, sliced
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (2 tsp dried)
  • kosher salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1 pork tenderloin (2 lb), pounded out to 3/4" thickness
optional  sauce -  
  • 1 cup beef stock/broth
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1/2 cup apple jelly
  • 1/2 cup creamed honey (or plain)
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

    Sauce:
    Just start this going as you are prepping the meat and veggies for the grilled version.  The longer you cook it down, the silkier and yummier it is.  Combine broth, wine, jelly, honey and Worcestershire in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to about medium heat.  Reduce sauce down until thickened to desired amount.


    Step 1: Remove excess exterior fat then cut the pork loin. This was my very first time buying and working with a loin and I was clueless. I cut in 3 sections by rolling the loin over. Mine was too thick not to. I then sprinkled 1-2 tablespoons of Kosher salt all over it. I recommend a course salt, which may be sea salt as well. I like the flavor of Kosher and use it 90% of the time.

    Step 2: Spread 1 1/2-2 tablespoons olive oil over the salt. You can use any kind of oil. I cook with olive and coconut oil 95% of the time with exception to Oriental foods where I use sesame oil.

    Step 3: Sprinkle 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar all over. This is what gives a rich flavor. I LOVE balsamic and find a place for it on a near- daily basis. If you don't love the stuff you might want to cut it down to 1 Tablespoon.

    Step 4: Chop FRESH spinach and Rosemary then sprinkle that all over cut loin. In June I have both items growing fresh in my backyard. Next time I will probably add more of each, but because I have a tendency to "over-healthify" my alterations of recipes I chose to spare the family and go conservative on the amount of greens I added to the inside of this pig.

    Step 5: Finally, it's time to roll the loin and stick it together with toothpicks. The original recipe calls for twine which I was both too lazy and too cheap to buy. The twine leaves pretty lines on the finished product but is not necessary. Count on me to cut out any and all unnecessary steps-- which sometimes comes back to bite me. Thankfully it worked this time.

    Step 6: Cook. You can cook this in the oven at 350 though a priority for me is that charred outer layer you can only get on the grill. So, to the grill it is! Luckily I had the grilling genius (aka Mikey) to intervene. I laid the loin on the main grill to which Mike suggested in go on the top half grill. It cooked on the upper rack and came out just right-- I think it would've charred on the main rack. The suggested cook time is 20 minutes per pound. This loin is 4.1 pounds and unfortunately was  left in for about 1 1/2 hours and came out slightly dry and over-cooked. It should reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees, though can be removed at 155 as it will continue to cook while covered/ tented with foil for 15 minutes on counter. Do not skip this important step as this is the time for the juices set.

    Step 7: Serve with mashed or cooked potatoes, green beans, etc. I served these with the balsamic parmesan green beans and mushrooms


    No comments: