Monday, January 25, 2010

Lightning Cake

So, I saw this cake online but the only instructions that came with it were: 1) I used Marshmallow Fondant and 2) I used rice crispy treats for the wheels. So... after investigating, I found an instructional recipe for fondant and I made my rice crispy treats. After that I was on my own-- which could be one of the reasons Lightning took 8 hours to make. I'm happy with what I did and how it came out. So, here are a few more instructions to follow:

1) I made the Marshmallow Fondant, following the recipe on the earlier post. I made this about 5 days in advance and stored it un-dyed and a ziplock bag in the fridge like she recommended. I used more crisco and no corn starch. I think that's why it came out shiny-- I probably would have had more of a matte finish if I had used corn starch instead.

2) I used a Brownie mix instead of cake. I used two boxes of the cheap box mixes. The cake doesn't taste the greatest, but hey, I was going for looks here. I used two 9 x 13 pans-- one for each mix. I made this 4 days in advance, covered it with saran wrap, and stored it in the fridge.

3) I made the rice crispy treats (as seen cut in the background) I compacted the treats with my hands so they would be more smoother. I made these 3 days in advance.

3) I used cheap, pre-made frosting to cover the cake. Next time I would not frost the bottom inch as it seeped out a little and required removal.Once the cake was frosted I moved it to a black cutting board which made a nice presentation board.






4) Next, 24 hours before I needed the cake I colored the fondant. This took the longest amount of time. I first tried red food coloring and Lighting was pink! I then used Kool-Aid and got closer to the color I was looking for. Still not dark enough, I added two small containers (4 or 5 in a can) of generic Crystal Light. Not only did I get the color I was looking for, but it made the fondant taste good. I learned mixing colors in my Kitchenaid was must faster/ efficient and it did not harm the texture of the fondant. I kept some white, yellow, tiny amount of blue (for eyes), dark brown (should be black), and lots of red.

5) I rolled out some white fondant super thin and laid it where I wanted Lightning's windows cut out.

6) I rolled out the red fondant a little thicker. I used a flexible cutting mat so I could easily remove it. I also used a ton more Crisco to easily work with it. I laid fondant gently on cake and molded it around the details on the cake.

7) I used a pizza cutter (seen in background) to cut bottom/ excess fondant.




8) I made holes/ indentations in sides where I wanted the wheels.

9) I covered wheels in dark brown fondant (it's the darkest I could get without driving to the store for black) and I shoved them into the sides.




10) Using a shark peering or steak knife I cut out the windows. I had a picture of the cake I wanted to make and a toy Lightning car to help me.


 

11) Using my picture and toy car I used a knife to cut out the lightning bolts in yellow, the eyes, the 95, and the Rust-Eze logo all out of fondant. I could have used frosting but I was having too much fun. I had no special tools in making this cake.

12) The car took over 8 hours to make as I had to make the brownies, crispies, and fondant. It cost between $8-10 to make.

1 comment:

Beth said...

WOWWOOOZZZEERRRSS!!! That is absobloomin-lutley fantastic! You are super-duper talented and a great mum to love your son enough to make that cake for him!
(I will see if I can bring marzepan- I think it looks very similar to the fondant you made but might not taste as nice). But it's ready made balls to roll and cut as desired!)