Okay, this is good stuff! Just made some pies from Aunt Sara's apples and they came out amazing. I did an experiment with the crust. The first one I dumped all the ingredients in the kitchenaid and mixed them together. The second I actually followed the directions on the recipe. Both tasted the same, but for not a whole lot more work, the 2nd had a delicious flaky texture to it.
Pie Crust (for Crunch Apple Pie... and ALL Pies!!!)
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
1¾ cups shortening
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 egg, well-beaten
½ cup cold water
1 tablespoon sugar
Combine flour, salt, and shortening. Blend with pastry knife. Combine vinegar, egg, water, and sugar. Toss with dry ingredients. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Makes (4) 9” crusts. This crust freezes well.
Crunch Apple Pie (Miriam)
Filling:
⅔ cup sugar or apple juice concentrate
6-8 apples peeled and sliced (Granny Smith or Mountain Land)
1 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
Top Crust:
½ cup butter
1 cup flour
½ cup brown/date sugar, packed
½ cup chopped Pecans
Line pie pan with crust and fill with apple filling. Mix together top crust until it crumbles, then sprinkle over top of pie (I like to mix topping with my fingers).
Cover with tin foil and Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 350°F and bake for another 45 minutes.
The filling freezes very nicely!
What else am I doing with my bags full of apples?? Tomorrow during conference we will be drying apples, and at night during the Priesthood session we will be making caramel apples. Additionally, there is this new decadent and delicious creation called Caramel Apple Bites. Where someone had the brilliant idea of dipping dried apple slices in caramel and white chocolate, then sprinkling cinnamon on them. They're amazing! Hooray for apples and delicious Fall cooking!

No comments:
Post a Comment